Wednesday, April 27, 2011

rescue

Dream 1:
I have seen this lady before. She is blind, and she only exists in my dreams. She stands downtown in the triangle at Edgewood, Decatur, and Peachtree. And she cries out for help. In dreams past, I have not exactly ignored her; I have acknowledged her, but I have walked past without offering the help for which she pleads. Last night, though, her cry was different.

"Melissa, help me!"

She said my name! This time, I have no choice. I stop. I listen to her story. She had been in a house fire, where her corneas had been scorched, leaving her blind and helpless. She desperately wants to see again, and somehow, she thinks I might lead her to health. I do. I take her to a doctor, and as my dream ends, I add to my student debt to pay for her surgical healing.

****wake up****
****fall back asleep****

Dream 2:
My family and I are swimming in the ocean. My parents' dogs Ruthie and Smokey (in reality, Smokey is now deceased) play on the beach until Smokey decides he must be nearer his momma, and he jumps in. He swims okay, but he panics and turns back toward the shore. The undertow is strong; he paddles with all his little Boston Terrier might, but he makes no headway. He begins to cry. I swim to him, tuck him under my right arm, and deliver him safely back to Ruthie's side.

****wake up****

I have thought about these dreams all day today. Especially in dream 1, the blind woman's cry for my help is sobering. In my dreams, I have passed her so many times thinking I could not offer what she needed. She knew better. These two dreams remind me of two types of people in my world - two particular friends, in fact: 1) those who are blind, cannot see a cure, and cry out daily for help and 2) those who can see glimpses of their safe haven between the waves but who are drowning trying to reach shore. For both of these individuals, I hold the answer. I know the Healer; I know the One who controls the waves with the sound of His voice. I know Jesus. I know salvation. My blind and paddling friends are calling out to me for help. What will be my response?

No comments: