Wednesday, November 02, 2011

so, i'm not young anymore

for the fourth year in a row, my car and i signed up to participate in my church's Trunk or Treat. on halloween, we park our cars in a circle, trunks facing in, and we decorate our trunks and receive "trunk-or-treaters" from the community. tons of children and families show up, and it is always a great time of fun with our church and our community.

this year, i had a brilliant idea for my trunk's decor. i wrapped a couple of flattened cardboard boxes in blue wrapping paper and added some waves and fish. i set up the boards to form a barrier to my trunk, and i gave each trunk-or-treater a fishing pole with a clothes pin on the end. he/she would fish for candy. i even thought ahead enough to buy individually wrapped Swedish Fish candies from Amazon to fit my theme.

when the event started, i climbed into my trunk and went to work attaching fish to each lowered line and giving the line a tug to let the fisher know he/she had a bite. 1.5 hours of fun.

the next day, the fun bit me in the back. i could barely move. apparently, i am too old to work curled up in a trunk for 1.5 hours. my back and neck were so sore i stayed in bed all day popping naproxen sodium. i missed both my classes but decided i needed to be up at 8pm for my online office hours for the class i teach. i got up slowly and took bengay and a heating pad with me to the living room to set up for office hours. as soon as my hour was up, i returned to lying flat in my bed.

wow. who knew one could get so old so fast? who knew old people shouldn't get in trunks? now i know.
-mo

2 comments:

April and Tim Trussell-Smith said...

your back seats don't lie down, so you can get to your trunk from the interior of the car?

Mo said...

Yes, they do. And, I did. I was lying on my front with my feet out toward the windshield, but in order to do the work I was doing, I had to lie leaning on my elbows with my back arched the whole time. I didn't know I was injuring myself, but apparently, backs don't like to be curled like that for 1.5 hours.