Saturday, July 23, 2011

immy's parents' parents

as a child, i always found it kind of strange to think that my grandparents are my parents' parents. the relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is so different from the relationship between parents and children that i still have trouble picturing my grandparents parenting my parents. tonight, i experienced the strange reality that i am now the in-between.

i was talking to immy (my 6-week-old niece) about how cool her granddaddy is when i was suddenly overwhelmed with pride that immy's granddaddy is my daddy. this cool guy she is just getting to know as her granddaddy is the cool guy i got to grow up knowing as my daddy. i happened to be talking about her granddaddy at that moment, but similar emotions could describe my pride in her grammy (my mama) or our granny and popa. they were mine first, and that makes me proud.

immy may one day find it kind of strange to think that her grandparents are her parents' parents. and, maybe it is kind of strange. (then again, maybe i'm strange for thinking it strange.) but, i find it very cool that these cool people immy will love are the same cool people i have always loved.
-mo

No comments: