Monday, August 15, 2011

images of home

did a Google image search on Liberia as part of my research for work and found a picture of one of our friends in Saclepea. Roseline sat with us well into the evening most nights, and once, she made us spaghetti for breakfast.

finding Roseline via Google made me smile. other pictures made me cry. my boots became heavy as i scrolled through images of Liberia's violent civil war. i feel so connected to the people and the emotions in the photos. the elementary-aged boys wielding machine guns seem like my boys. in reality, my boys, my friends, were those boys forced into manhood before puberty.

through a range of emotional responses to a simple Google image search, my overwhelming impression is one of homesickness. these are images of home. i want to go home.
-mo

No comments: